keragel® is a thick hydrogel rich in keratin protein that delivers Replicine™ Functional Keratin® to the wound while maintaining a moisture rich environment.
keragel® is designed for full and partial thickness wounds with dry to medium exudate, such as:
keragel® has demonstrated faster epithelisation rates and more robust skin after healing in numerous clinical studies. In vitro studies have shown that Replicine™ Functional Keratin® increases the rates of proliferation and migration of keratinocyte cells (which play a key role in epithelialisation) and that the migrating keratinocytes express increased levels of collagen 4 and collagen 7 which are critical for basal membrane integrity.
This means keragel® can speed healing, improve the healed outcome and reduce cost of care in the following treatment areas:
Chronic wound care
keragel® was a treatment option in a 22 patient case series of long duration mixed etiology venous leg ulcers. 73% of nurses and 82% of patients indicated a preference for keragel® over conventional therapy and 71% of large (>5cm2), long duration (>6 months) wound healed compared to a historical expectation of 13% for this wound type.
- C Hammond, M Than, J Walker. From the laboratory to the leg: Patient's and nurses perceptions of product application using three different dressing formats, Wound Practice and Research, 18, 4, 189-195, November 2010.
- C Vivas, A D Maderal, M P Than, R S Kirsner, Letter: Designing clinical trials to bring wound products to market. Int Wound J. 2011 Dec 14. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-481X.2011.00907.x
keragel® was a treatment option in a 45 wound case series of mixed etiology chronic wounds, including venous leg ulcers and diabetic wounds. 87% of hard to heal wounds (>2 month duration) achieved a significant 76-100% reduction in wound area.
- A. Batzer, C Marsh, R Kirsner The Use of Keratin Based Wound Products on Refractory Wounds, Int Wound J, 2014 Feb 28. doi: 10.1111/iwj.12245 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24580740
A randomized control trial of 20 patients with median sternotomy scars demonstrated a 44% reduction in the occurrence of substantial scars when using keragel® when compared to conventional therapy control.
- N Jina, C Marsh, M Than, H Singh, S Cassidy J Simcock1 Keratin Gel Improves Poor Scarring following Median Sternotomy, ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2014 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ans.12520/abstract
Faster epithelisation rates lead to faster wound closure and so reduced infection rates and a better healed outcome, including potentially less severe scarring and pigmentation effects. An 80 patient cohort study on partial thickness and superficial burns, compared burn management using keratin wound care with standard of care in the treatment facility. Burn patients, with an age range of 7 months to 69 years, had wounds treated with either keragelT®, keragel® or keramatrix® depending on location and exudate level of the wound. The keratin products were found to facilitate healing faster (mean healing time of 8.7 days compared to 14.4 days) with minimal permanent skin change or scarring reported for the treatment group. The keratin products were well tolerated with minimal pain and itch, a common issue at dressing change. The keratin treatments were easy to use and administer for the health professionals in both outpatients and community settings and a cost of care analysis showed a 47% cost saving compared to the control group.
- F Loan, C Marsh, S Cassidy, J Simcock, Keratin-Based Products for Effective Wound Care Management in Superficial and Partial Thickness Burns Injuries, Burns, (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.burns.2015.10.024. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26787130
keragel® was a treatment option in a 20 patient clinical case series of skin tears in a community setting. Carers using keragel® consistently reported faster healing rates, stronger and more robust skin and improved cosmetic appearance of the healed wound relative to standard care for this wound type.
- J Redmond, E Milner, C Marsh, A case study series using keratin based technology for skin tears, Proceedings of SAWC 2012, Atlanta, GA, April 2012
Reduced cost of care
Using keragel® Improves healing outcomes, reduces total cost of care and improves quality of life. Faster healing of chronic wounds leads to 47% reduction in total care cost. Contact us to find out how.
keragel® provides a high level of biological performance but is a shelf stable, simple to use hydrogel packaged in a sterile 20g tube for convenience. Application can range from daily to weekly, depending on wound type. For more details on usage download these guidelines and instructions for use for keragel®.
- Instructions for use of keragel®
- Guidelines for the use of Replicine™ Functional Keratin® advanced wound care products for the care of chronic wounds
How to get keragel®
keragel® is approved for use and distributed throughout many of the major regions of the world. Click here to find out how best to access keragel®.