keramatrix® is an absorbable matrix rich in keratin protein that delivers Replicine™ Functional Keratin® as it dissolves into the wound. Due to the unique biological function of keratin protein, keramatrix® delivers a level performance typically associated with high cost biological dressings, in a much lower cost and much more convenient format.
keramatrix® is designed for full and partial thickness wounds with low to high exudate, such as:
- Venous leg ulcers
- Arterial ulcers
- Diabetic ulcers
- Pressure ulcers
- Skin graft donor sites
- First and second degree burns
- Superficial injuries, cuts, abrasions and surgical wounds
keramatrix® has demonstrated faster epithelisation rates and more robust skin after healing in numerous clinical studies. In vitro studies have shown that Replicine™ Functional Keratin® increases the rates of proliferation and migration of keratinocyte cells, specifically encouraging keratinocyte cells into a active healing phase earlier than when keramatrix is not used. This means keramatrix® can speed healing, improve the healed outcome and reduce cost of care in the following treatment areas:
Chronic wound care
keramatrix® was a treatment option in a 22 patient case series of long duration mixed etiology venous leg ulcers. 73% of nurses and 82% of patients indicated a preference for keramatrix® over conventional therapy and 71% of large (>5cm2), long duration (>6 months) wound healed compared to a historical expectation of 13% for this wound type.
- C Hammond, M Than, J Walker. From the laboratory to the leg: Patient's and nurses perceptions of product application using three different dressing formats, Wound Practice and Research, 18, 4, 189-195, November 2010.
- C Vivas, A D Maderal, M P Than, R S Kirsner, .Letter: Designing clinical trials to bring wound products to market. Int Wound J. 2011 Dec 14. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-481X.2011.00907.x
- M P Than, R A Smith, C Hammond, R Kelly, C Marsh, A D Maderal, R S Kirsner. Keratin-based Wound Care Products for Treatment of Resistant Vascular Wounds. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2012 Dec;5(12):31-5.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3533319/
keramatrix® was a treatment option in a 45 wound case series of mixed etiology chronic wounds, including venous leg ulcers and diabetic wounds. 87% of hard to heal wounds (>2 month duration) achieved a significant 76-100% reduction in wound area.
- A. Batzer, C Marsh, R Kirsner, The Use of Keratin Based Wound Products on Refractory Wounds, Int Wound J, 2014 Feb 28. doi: 10.1111/iwj.12245 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24580740
Donor site treatment
A randomized, blinded, controlled study of 26 split skin graft donor site wounds showed a statistically significant improvement in epithelisation rate for use of keramatrix compared to standard care control. Improved healing rate lead to an estimated 2 day improvement in healing time and associated reduction in risk of infection, hypertrophic scarring and other complications.
- A Davidson, N Jina, C Marsh, M Than and J Symcock, Do Functional Keratin Dressings Accelerate Epithelialization in Human Partial Thickness Wounds? A Randomized Controlled Trial on Skin Graft Donor Sites eplasty13e45 aug 2013. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810610_2
keramatrix® was a treatment option in a 20 patient clinical case series of skin tears in a community setting. Carers using keramatrix® consistently reported faster healing rates, stronger and more robust skin and improved cosmetic appearance of the healed wound relative to standard care for this wound type.
- J Redmond, E Milner, C Marsh, A case study series using keratin based technology for skin tears, Proceedings of SAWC 2012, Atlanta, GA, April 2012
Reduced cost of care
Using keramatrix® Improves healing outcomes, reduces total cost of care and improves quality of life. Faster healing of chronic wounds leads to 47% reduction in total care cost. Contact us to find out how.
keramatrix® provides a high level of biological performance but is a shelf stable, simple to use product packaged in a sterile 4inx4in (10cmx10cm) convenience. Application can range from daily to weekly, depending on wound type. For more details on usage download these guidelines and instructions for use for keramatrix®.
- Instructions for use of keramatrix®
- Guidelines for the use of Replicine™ Functional Keratin® advanced wound care products for the care of chronic wounds
- US reimbursement guide for keramatrix®.
How to get keramatrix®
keramatrix® is approved for use and distributed throughout many of the major regions of the world.